Matthew Lane & Associates, P.A.
In light of COVID-19, Matthew Lane & Associates will be able to meet with new clients via Zoom. To discuss your options, please call the office. Thank you!

In a Divorce, what happens to gifts and inheritances from Parents

 In a division of property and assets case, gifts from your parents may end up belonging to your spouse if the proceeds are comingled with marital assets. In Dravis v. Dravis the Florida Court of Appeal recently stated that: Although non interspousal gifts and inheritances, like those from a parent, are usually treated as nonmarital assets, see ยง 61.075(6)(b)(2), this can change. Nonmarital assets may lose their nonmarital character and become marital assets where they are commingled with marital assets. This is especially true with respect to money because money is fungible, and once commingled it loses its separate character. Money loses its nonmarital character when it is commingled with marital money. Where gift proceeds are commingled with proceeds that are marital assets, the gifts may lose their nonmarital character and, as a matter of law, become marital assets subject to equitable distribution.

In a division of property and assets case, assets that previously might have been said to have any nonmarital character may be dissolved into a commingled cash account. When a party commingles marital and nonmarital funds in his personal account, all the funds in that account may lose their separate nonmarital character. Once proceeds are deposited into a joint account, their nonmarital character may be lost. Even if an account is titled solely in one spouse's name originally, nonmarital funds that have been commingled with marital funds may not retain their nonmarital character simply because the account in which they are kept is titled in the name of only one spouse. Although a Wife or Husband may title brokerage accounts in their own names alone, this fact may not be relevant. Even if an account is titled in one spouse's name alone, it may become marital if both marital and nonmarital funds are commingled in that account. Whether the account was titled individually or jointly thus may make no difference.

To speak to a Jupiter divorce attorney, call Matthew Lane and Associates, P.A. at (561) 651-7273.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Request Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

Palm Beach Gardens Office
The Financial Center at the Gardens
3801 PGA Boulevard
Suite 600
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida 33410

Toll Free: 800-411-3434
Phone: 407-917-5005
Phone: (561) 328-1111
Fax: (561) 472-1568
Map & Directions

Wellington Office
Wellington Reserve
1035 South State Road 7
Suite 315
Wellington, Florida 33414

Toll Free: 800-411-3434
Phone: 407-917-5005
Fax: (561) 472-1568
Map & Directions

West Palm Beach Office
Phillips Point
777 South Flagler Drive
Suite 800
West Palm Beach, Florida 33401

Toll Free: 800-411-3434
Phone: 407-917-5005
Fax: (561) 472-1568
Map & Directions

Boca Raton Office
One Boca Place
2255 Glades Road
Suite 324A
Boca Raton, Florida 33431

Toll Free: 800-411-3434
Phone: 407-917-5005
Fax: (561) 472-1568
Map & Directions