Matthew Lane & Associates, P.A.

Modification of Alimony in Palm Beach, Florida

In a modification of alimony proceeding, a trial court can temporarily modify an alimony award while the award is being appealed. It cannot alter the actual alimony award during the pendency of the appeal. In Horowitz v. Horowitz the Florida Court of Appeal recently stated: "[T]he trial court may conduct a hearing on the modification petition and issue orders consistent with Rule 9.600(c). It may not, however, enter a final judgment disposing of the modification petition until the appeal is final and our mandate issues. Thompson v. Stewart, 569 So. 2d 1372 (Fla. 4th DCA 1990); Campbell v. Campbell, 436 So. 2d 374 (Fla. 5th DCA 1983); Kalmutz v. Kalmutz, 299 So. 2d 30 (Fla. 4thDCA 1974)...We begin with the principle stated by this court in Kalmutz: [W]hen the jurisdiction of the appellate court attaches it is exclusive as to the subject covered by the appeal; so that modification of an order under appeal would be beyond the jurisdiction of the trial court from the very innate nature of the appellate jurisdiction and from the very practical viewpoint that there is no order to be modified until the appellate court determines what the order actually is. Kalmutz, 299 So. 2d at 32 n.l...

Citing Rule 9.600(c), we have noted "[w]hen the trial court temporarily alters the provisions in the final judgment for the purpose of protecting the welfare or rights of a party pending appeal, the terms of the judgment are not affected." Goodman v. Goodman, 664 So. 2d 975, 975 (Fla.4thDCA 1995) (emphasis added)...To the contrary, the subsequent modification proceeding is neutral and indifferent as to the legal correctness of the prior adjudication and correctly proceeds on the theory that, whether or not the prior adjudication was correct on the facts then found and adjudicated, those facts have now changed and the present factual circumstances differ so substantially and materially from those underlying the prior adjudication that a different level of support is warranted as to the future...As outlined, the trial court can consider the former husband's petition and, if appropriate, fashion a temporary order which may be revisited or reduced to permanent rulings once the pending direct appeal has been disposed of by this court. Horowitz v. Horowitz, 39 Fla. L. Weekly D987, 987-988 (Fla. 4th DCA May 14, 2014)

To speak with a divorce lawyer in Palm Beach, Florida, contact Matthew Lane & Associates, P.A. at (561) 651-7273. 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Request Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us For A Response

Palm Beach Gardens Office
The Financial Center at the Gardens
3801 PGA Boulevard
Suite 600
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida 33410

Toll Free: 800-411-3434
Phone: 407-917-5005
Phone: (561) 328-1111
Fax: (561) 472-1568
Map & Directions

Wellington Office
Wellington Reserve
1035 South State Road 7
Suite 315
Wellington, Florida 33414

Toll Free: 800-411-3434
Phone: 407-917-5005
Fax: (561) 472-1568
Map & Directions

West Palm Beach Office
Phillips Point
777 South Flagler Drive
Suite 800
West Palm Beach, Florida 33401

Toll Free: 800-411-3434
Phone: 407-917-5005
Fax: (561) 472-1568
Map & Directions

Boca Raton Office
One Boca Place
2255 Glades Road
Suite 324A
Boca Raton, Florida 33431

Toll Free: 800-411-3434
Phone: 407-917-5005
Fax: (561) 472-1568
Map & Directions